Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wrestling With God

I can honestly say I know much about wrestling, but I can say that almost every night Peyton wants to wrestle.  I remember in my single days I wouldn't miss WWF on Monday Nights.  What is it about wrestling?  Why is it that thousands of people watch this on TV and that kids want to this as a pastime.  In Cleveland, our high schools have two of the best wrestling programs in the state.   I think it is that our bodies have to release energy and stress somehow and this is how many choose to relieve this energy.  

Now as for me personally, I can only wrestle for a few minutes with a 4 year old boy.  But I do remember watching our middle school boys wrestle for almost an entire weekend.  In Genesis 32, we find Jacob doing just what we are talking about.  Wrestling.  It seems as if he is giving it his all.  The Bible even says he wrestled all night long.  Wow, now that is a wrestling match worth watching.  But this one is one that is far different than any other matches that we might have seen or been apart of.  This one there is something unusual about Jacob's opponent.  It was clear that no matter what Jacob did, he was not going to defeat this opponent.  Why? Because Jacob wasn't wrestling with just another man, he was wrestling with God.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to wrestle God.  But don't we do this in our minds everyday?  Don't we argue back and forth with God, often times trying to plead our own case.  

That is exactly what Jacob is doing.  He is pleading his case.  Look what finally happens.  Verse 28, Then the man said, "your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."   Jacob gets a new start, a new name.  His past struggles are now gone and he has a new future, along with a new name.  It is when we get to this point in our lives, that we can move to the future that God has for us.  It will never happen if we are not willing to face God and allow him to forever change us.  It can never happen through things of the world, but it has to be from the Father.  

Jacob not only has a name change that will forever remind him of this encounter with God, but will forever walk with a reminder that he has come face to face with an Almighty God.  When we find ourselves out of options, and with no where to turn is when we will come face to face with God.  We must be ready to face the trials that will come our way, but He will be our guide.  As with Jacob, God will listen to all we have to say, then He will give us a chance to live our lives to the full potential He has planned.  It is when we wrestle with God that our character grows, our faith grows, and we can learn from all the mistakes that we have made.  These mistakes will be reminders of the grace that God has for each of His children, and after we see Him for who He is we will be forever changed.  

Lord help me to always bring my needs to you.  Let me never fear what you have for me, but always know that you have my best interests at heart.  For when I come face to face with you, let me be reminded of the grace and mercy you have shown me.  Let whatever energy or stress I may be have, become refocused on the one that can keep me from harm.  Let me be forever changed.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment