Friday, January 9, 2009

The Promise

Today is a very fun day for us. It is Peyton's first day of school, the second time. We are praying and believing that God has everything under His hand. Peyton has had a hard time of adjusting to school, and so I am just claiming the promise that God has given each one of His children. Ask, seek, and knock, and the door will be opened. I know that God hears each one of our prayers. This is one that is so dear to our hearts and I know He will not fail us. God please wrap Peyton in Your Loving arms!


In this mornings devotion, Genesis 18-20, we God appearing to Abraham. This is very unique because throughout the Bible God doesn't appear to many. Abraham in the middle of the day stands face to face with God. As he recognizes who is near him, he immediately begins planning the welcome party. Isn't that just like each one of us. When a special guest arrives we feel like we have to cater to them, when in fact all he really needed to do was listen. God just wants us to stop and listen to His voice. He had something important to tell Abraham. God always has something to tell us if we will just stop and listen.

In this passage, God was about to give the promise to Abraham and his wife Sarah. He told them that the next time He returned they would have a son. Then, as many of us do, we laughed at God. The one thing that I can never doubt is God. God has promised several things in my life, and He has not failed yet! He is faithful to His word, unlike many of us. A promise to you may be different than the promise to me, but we must know whatever the promise may be, if God said it, you can take it to the bank.

We then see the mercy of God as Abraham pleads for the city of Sodom. We see how much God loves Abraham, and how much he loves His children. The problem is that many are to busy to recognize who God is. We also see in this same passage of scripture God keeping His word, and wiping out the city. Many would say could this be a loving God? The answer is simple. God gives us a choice to serve Him and will never force anything especially love on us, however this city was far from Him. God could not even find 10 that were righteous, so he kept his promise, he destroyed the city.

We must learn from this that no matter what the promise is God will keep it. As I look back on my life I can think of a recent request to God, Christina and I prayed for a healthy baby. What we got was more than that. We got the most beautiful child in the world. He is definately a work of art. There cannot be many kids like Peyton. God has created Him with special prints off of his hand. There are times with Peyton when there is no greater joy, and times we fell like pulling our hair out, what little is left of mine. But through it all God has shown me that there is a promise with me every day. Soon we will have another ray of light in our life, Brayden.

So today God, I pray for Peyton, I ask that you wrap your arms around him and never let go. I ask that you watch over Christina and Brayden as the term continues, and that Brayden is healthy when he is born. I trust you in all things, and I thank you for the promise. If I ever forget to stop and just listen, please draw me back to you. I love you, Amen.

1 comment: