Friday, January 16, 2009

The Power of Relationships

Have you ever been afraid of a meeting with someone close who can read right through you? Are meaningful relationships hard to come by? Is everything in your life surface level? I have honestly had to search my heart and I can honestly say that many times in my life I would have said yes to each of these questions. It is because relationships take work, and it is the work that we are often afraid of.

In today's passage Genesis 33, Jacob is about to meet up with his brother Esau. In Jacob's mind there is no way that this meeting could ever end well, and he is scared to death about meeting his brother! He was so afraid of what Esau would do to him, that he divides his family up and pretty much tells them goodbye and would as the Word suggest, would even go as far as giving them to Esau in exchanged for his life. He then crosses over to what he thinks could be his last day. He falls at the feet of his brother as if to beg for mercy. But this is when the story gets interesting. Esau doesn't respond out of anger, but responds with more love than Jacob could even imagine. When Esau takes Jacobs blessing, he is showing that everything is OK and that the past is behind them.

For us, often times relationships are not this easy. However the difference must be the way we respond to others. Just as Esau showed mercy on his brother, we must also have compassion on others. This week I have been reading a book called "11." In this book it talks about how many of us go through life with only one person in mind, ourselves. It suggests that we need others - and different kinds of relationships to make it in this life. Especially if we are going to be successful. After spending many year of doing things alone, I agree with that statement. It offers a word "withness," to add to our vocabulary. Basically suggesting that if we have healthy relationships we can become more effective, and we will not go through life alone. He also says a great quote in "it is not in the journey, but in relationships." The relationship that Jacob would now have with Esau would change not only his life, but everyone around him.

Lord I pray today for all of the people who have been different things to me. I thank you for the study group and friends I have grown to love and trust. I thank you for those that constantly get after me. I thank you for those who are willing to learn and listen. Without each individual you have placed in my life I would not be here today. Without relationships, it would be a lonely world to live in. Help me be strength and hope to others. And let everyone I come in contact with know what it is to be a child of the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment