Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Heart of Worship

As I begin my devotion this morning, I am drawn to the passage that I was reading yesterday. It says that Jacob wrestled with God. That he was face to face with the King. Although I can't even begin to imagine what the must have been like to wrestle with the King, I can imagine what it would be like to come face to face with Him. I can feel the warmth of His smile and I am blinded by the beauty that is around me. Why is it then, if the sight would be so great, that we often times have a problem drawing close to God. Is it because we are afraid that he won't let us near, or is it simply because we know we are not worthy? I know for me it is both of those.

As a dad, there is nothing that means more to be than having my son love on me. Our father in Heaven is wired the very same. I see in the Scriptures, time and time again that is says this about encountering God, "do not be afraid." This is said to countless people who were in the presence or face to face with God. God tells these do not be afraid to approach Him. He created us to do just that, to be in a relationship with Him. How then can we be in a relationship with Him if we cannot approach Him?

God wants us to be unafraid to approach Him. He yearns for interaction with His greatest creations. He longs to spend time with the ones He loves. He invites us near Him just as we are, our faults, our imperfections, everything, just come as we are. We must not be so scared of God that we fail to get close to Him. The cool thing about God is that we don't have to be rid of our sin before we approach Him, but simply have a heart that wanted to be pure. He will do the rest. There have been many times in the past few months that there have been times that I was frustrated with Peyton. However, it makes it all better, if he just comes to be and hugs me and says,"I'm sorry Daddy, I love you." We can do this very same thing to our Father in heaven.

God wants us to have a heart of approach. He doesn't want to be distant from us. He wants us to come to Him in simplicity and innocence just like a child, with reverence for who He is. It doesn't have to be some elaborate prayer, a big show, or even use big words (thank goodness for this), none of this impresses God. He simply just wants us to come, and be face to face with Him. For when we get face to face with Him, our lives will change. Our worship will change. Our attitudes will change. Everything about us will change. It gives me great joy that I don't have to be afraid of my Father, I just have to come to Him.

Lord, in all that I do, never let me get so busy that I fail to come to you. Thank you for loving me despite all of my imperfections and failures. With You I know that even these things can be changed and worked on. Help me to come to you with all my needs and desires and help me to know you better. I pray for my son, Peyton, that you help him with his actions, his hands, and his ability to relate to others. Watch over my family, wrap your hedge around them. Help Christina through this time in the pregnancy, and help Brayden continue to grow into the child you have created him to be. Help us all hear from You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment