Monday, January 5, 2009

Psalm 5

As i read through this simple passage of scriptures I am drawn to a few of the verses that seem to stand out from the others. 

It seems as if every morning I often find myself in the same routines.  From getting up, to getting ready, to driving to work, it is as if nothing changes.  I have often caught myself in a routine with God.  It is as if I can almost recite a prayer that has become tradition every morning.  The problem is God is a God who likes things to be from love and not from habit.  I don't want to ever get out of the habit of spending time with God, however, I don't want the same routine to affect me listening for the true voice of God.  

As verse 1 says, every morning we must cry out to our God and pray that He hears us.  David prayed to God. This may sound elementary, but it is an essential aspect of prayer. Often we come to prayer so full of our request or our feelings that we never consciously focus on God and sense His presence. David was a great man of prayer because His prayer time was focused on God.  David made it a point to pray in the morning. He did this because he wanted to honor God at the beginning of his day, and set the tone for an entire day dedicated unto God. I am just glad we have a God that is never to busy to hear our cries.  As David drew closer to God he became more aware of God’s holiness and man’s sinfulness. “This is a good way to measure how well you are praying and whether, as you pray, you are drawing close to God or are merely mouthing words. If you are drawing close to God, you will become increasingly sensitive to sin, which is inevitable since the God you are approaching is a holy God.”

My attention is drawn to verse 6, God loves us so much that matter what we have done, we our still His invited guests.  I have the privilege of entering the courts of the Lord.  I have the privilege of getting in His presence anytime anywhere.  It is only when we get to this point, verse 8, where we can truly hear the voice of the Lord, and he can then give us directions of where He wants us to go.  We need God to lead us and to make the ways straight. It is only God’s power and work in me that can keep him from the way of the wicked.

 

Verse 11 brings a lot of joy to me, knowing that if I trust in Him, that I can forever "sing" for joy.  I find comfort in the fact that God loves to hear me make a joyful noise.  Our worship shouldn't be based on our feelings, but on his reverence for a righteous, merciful God.

 

It is my prayer that today as verse 12 says, Lord cover me with favor as with a shield. We must always remember that a shield does not protect any one area of the body. It is large and mobile enough to cover any and every area of the body. It is armor over armor. This is how fully the favor of God, our standing in grace, protects us.  I just want to thank you Lord for welcoming me with open arms into your house and presence.  Let me never take for granted those things you have trusted me with and let me truly begin to draw near to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment