Friday, January 30, 2009

Jethro

How many times do we need someone who will just push us back into focus? Have you ever lost focused of something and needed to stop and take some time to re-focus. As I was reading today I came across a man in the Bible that served just that purpose. His name was Jethro.


Moses had a father-in-law that made him stay focused that gave him the push every one of us needs now and then. Moses had been faithfully serving Jethro and watching over the sheep, until one day Jethro said enough is enough, and pushed Moses towards the call that God had placed on his life. We may never know if Moses would have went on to do this on his own, but it was because Jethro said now is the time that we saw Moses go out an accomplish what he was called to do.

In the book 11, by Leonard Sweet, He says this about Jethro: We all need a Jethro; someone who boots you awake so you look at rather than look away, and blesses you forward with, "Go in vigor and strength in what you are going to do." Another wards, it is nice to have someone who believes in us that we can get the job done. There are times in each of our lives that we must find this kind of person that will push us to do the work we are called to do.


We all are looking to that peace in life and it is our Jethro's that push us towards it. Jethro's as Sweet says are blessers, not a flatterer. I know that from experience, I would rather someone get me focused towards the main thing and not just agree with what I was doing, because in the long run that is where I will be at peace. It is getting there that may be the problem. Jethro's push us out the door while telling us, Trust God. The way will open."


I know that there are time in my life where may people have played this role for me. I have been often times to comfortable and was not seeing the fullness of God. It wasn't until I got out of this comfortable place that I began to see the gifts of God and find the peace I was supposed to live in.

God please help me never to get comfortable in what I doing. Please help me value the relationships you have given me, and to never take for granted one that encourages me to move forward towards what God has for me. The future in You is bright, but often times can cause us to be comfortable where we are especially in a spiritual sense. I pray that I move forward spiritually this year more than ever before. Help me not to ever become comfortable in anything I do. Let everything that I do bring glory to your name. I pray for my family, my wife, my boys, and my other members of my family. I thank you for all that you have done already and pray that you continue to watch over Peyton and continue to move in his life. Be with us and let us love you with all that is within. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment