Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Flood

So today is a very unusual day in the city of Cleveland. Schools were actually cancelled because of rain. That's right, rain! The truth is we only got like 7-10 inches of rain, but it did cause many of the streets and streams to overflow onto the roads.



How fitting is it that the devotion this morning then would come from the great flood of the Bible. In Genesis 8 there is a covenant that has been made between God and Noah. We have seen a lot of rain over the past few weeks, but nothing like the flooding that Noah and his family experienced. They saw all that they formally knew, flooded. Their lives as they knew them were forever changed. However, the outward part of them had definitely been changed, it was the inward act of confidence in God that would forever change this family. They could never doubt God again, and even though there may be trials, and it may not come easy, they will know that God will always be with them.

Our lives are very similar. Although I have never personally seen floods as bad as Noah saw and experienced, this little flood reminded me this morning that we still serve the same God. God has promised us all that He will never leave us or forsake us. He is with us always. How many times have we failed to remember that He is always with us. I know many times I get in a hurry and try things on my own, only to find out that if I would have waited patiently for God, He would have had the right answers.

Think about Noah for a moment, if he had gotten in a big hurry like I often do, He would have drowned. If he had failed to listen to the voice of the Lord, he and his family would have been destroyed. It was only because he obeyed God from beginning to end that his life was spared. How true is this in our walks with God. We are only passing through this world and the world to come is eternal, forever. We must not get so focused on the things of this world and focus our attention on the One that matters the most.

Father, it is my prayer today that you make me realize that without You, I am nothing. Just as the covenant was made with Noah, You have also made the same covenant for me and my family. You have promised to save us from our sins, and give us eternal life. If we can only leave the past behind and look toward the future that we have in you. Thank you for the little reminders like yesterday's rain that you are still God. Let my focus be on You!

No comments:

Post a Comment