Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Psalm 6


This psalm is a one that captures my attention right off.  It is as if David is crying out to God for mercy.  There is no doubt that we all have to do this, without the mercy of the Lord we could not even stand.  There are definitely times in which we must suffer, but most of these times we bring them upon ourselves.  However, there are definitely times when God brings them upon His children.  

It is often the times that we are weak in body that we also can grow weak spiritually.  As David cries to God in verse two, he knows that without God, he will not make it.  How many times have we been in this very same situation?  How many times have we been to the point of quitting...BUT GOD.  When we are not confident in God's love and assistance even the small trials feel unbearable.

In verse 3, David knows what it means to be under pressure when he even asks God how long will this go on.  I know that many times I ask the same kind of questions.  I have come to the conclusion that God will not give us more than we can bear, but without Him, any task can seem impossible. David sensed he was under the rebuke of God, but he still knew he should ask God to shorten the trial.  God wants us to yearn for higher ground and to use that yearning as a motivation to seek Him and get things right with the LORD.  Shane and Shane sing a song called yearn, and it simply says Lord I wanna Yearn for you.  Lord Let that be my prayer today.  Let me yearn for you with all that is within me.  

Verse 6 we see David in a way that I know I have felt many times in my life.  In a pool of tears.  Not knowing what to do or how to get there.  David uses extreme exaggeration, but how many times have I cried myself to sleep, or even not been able to sleep.  He is tired of the games and he is looking for the closeness that he once had with the Lord.  

As with David, I know there have been times in which I have allowed the world to tempt me in different manners, however Like the prayers of David I must beg for God to intervene and save me from the world.  There are always going to be people who want us to fail, but we must remember we don't serve them, we serve God.  

When God hears our prayers, our enemies will be in trouble.  The good news is, our temporary pain or struggle is just a stepping stone for us to draw closer to Him, and He in turn will take care of our enemies.  

Lord I thank you for loving me through it all.  Without you the daily struggles that we face would be insurmountable.  It is through you that I find peace and comfort knowing that we are only passing through this world.  Today I pray especially for Peyton as he starts school tomorrow.  I pray that you strengthen him to listen, learn, share, and respect.  I know that this too shall pass and I know that you have created him in the perfect form of what you desired.  Thank you for trusting Christina and I to lead him.  Be with us always.  Amen.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment