Friday, February 6, 2009

Knowing Him means knowing the Word.

There is no doubt it is impossible to truly know someone without spending time with them. In fact, I can say without confidence to truly know someone, you must spend a lot of time and a lot of listening to find out who that person really is. The thing that concerns me the most is that we know a lot of people, TV shows, sports teams, and everything there is to know about them, but when it comes to knowing God, we don't even know where to begin. Our priorities point to everything except Him. If we would spend half as much time with Him as we do with the things of this world, then we could really know God. But why is it that we all seem to fall short of truly knowing God. I think that is has to begin with spending time in His Word.

I have struggled for years trying to hear the clear voice of God, only to find out that it is right in front of me. I have found myself praying and praying, almost like no one was there, and felt like God wasn't even listening. But the truth was right in from of me was His word, His voice, His promises. I think for us it is very hard to understand God because we can often times view God as just a source of something. A source of strength, a source of finances, a source of hope, love, etc. But He is so much more than that. Yes, He is all of those things and more, but most importantly He is our Heavenly father. His Love for us is so great, that He would go to great lengths just to prove how much he truly cares for us.


Proverbs 4 tells us that our life is at stake. We must listen to the voice of God. We must know it by heart. We must keep it in front of us always. We must ignore the distractions all around us and we must focus on Him. We must leave evil in the past. We must pursue Him. Those are strong words to us. God has a perfect plan for us but we must be willing to put the time required to hear this awesome plan. Time for us in today's busy world is a great sacrifice. But thinking to how much God gave us is it really that much for Him to ask? David once prayed, "I will not sacrifice that which costs me nothing." Wow think about that. This is so true. Why is it that we are willing to give everything that doesn't cost us, but when it really matters, if it costs us something we back away. We must get to the point to where God becomes our only priority, and the rest of life just falls in place.

God has so much for His children. I see us as a fish in a small bowl, living the same boring, ordinary life day after day. We only have allowed ourselves to view the small surroundings that we have come accustomed to. However, the problem is God has so much more for us. It reminds me of the movie Finding Nemo. When Nemo gets out of his surroundings he finds out there is a whole other worlds out there. When he puts his mind to it there is nothing that can stop him of his dream. The same is true with us. We must move out of the bowl that we live in, and move into the mighty depths of the endless ocean God has created us to live in.


God help me to stop being so shallow with You and find what it means to truly be in the relationship with the Father. Forgive me for not using all of the resources You have given to us. Help me learn to understand Your Word better as I continue my pursuit of You. Always help me remember, that there is more out there, and that I must always be looking to expand my often times narrow view of reality. Teach me your ways, and search me. Cleanse me. Help me to be ready to meet you should you come today. Always let me continue the pursuit until You come. Thank you for loving me so much. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. The idea that what we bring to God should be something that costs us something is powerful. I can only speak for myself, but if I'm honest I know that I've tried to buy God off. By that I mean that I have presented what was convenient to give, hoping that God would be satisfied with something instead of nothing. To think that I'm doing God a favor with my "sacrifice". The reality is that to follow God, to be genuine disciples of Christ, requires that a price be paid. That's not to say that God's grace isn't sufficient. It covers my sins without fail, but it's irresponsible of me to go through my life waiting for God's grace to cover me while I fail to remove the comfortable things that make my sin so accessible. If I'm not willing to pay the price, how can I expect to walk around in victory? Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete