Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why Not?


Have you ever just stopped to think what kind of God we serve? I mean the God we serve can do anything for us, and yet we only approach Him when we are in desperate need. Prayer is often a language that we only turn if we have time, or if we think God can help us. The fact is God can always help us, and we should turn to Him in every situation, every circumstance. Last year I adopted a motto, if you can think it, your not dreaming big enough. But I really wonder to myself now if I actually believed it.

Today is one of the days I just actually get what God has been trying to get the church to believe forever. There are no limits, no boundaries, nothing that can separate us from the love and will of God. NOTHING! So why is it that we don't shoot for the stars. We serve a master that created them, so why couldn't he help us in whatever it is we are doing. You think he doesn't care about what we are doing. He is the one who created us. He wants the very best for us. He wants us to know Him like we never have.

I was reading through some material today about the abundance of God and the kind of prayers we should be praying and I ran across this prayer.

Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves, when our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little, when we arrive safely because we have sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when with the abundance of things we possess, we have lost our thirst for the waters of life; having fallen in love with life, we have ceased to dream of eternity; and in our efforts to build a new earth, we have allowed our vision of the new heaven to dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly, to venture on wider seas where storms will show your mastery; where losing sight of land, we shall find the stars. We ask you to push back the horizons of our hopes; and to push us into the future in strength, courage, hope, and love.

I know I have been sailing too close to the shore lately and I am asking Jesus to disturb me to action.

In what areas have you become too comfortable and need to pray: "Lord, disturb me?" In what areas in your life have you been traveling too close to shore and need to pray: "Lord, disturb me?"

It is my prayer and passion that we live life to glorify God. We have been created for Him. By Him and for Him. We are then to give Him the honor and respect that He is due and not be satisfied with life as ordinary. We serve an extra ordinary God. Think about that the next time the enemy tries to place you in a box and tells you there is no way out. I serve a God who CAN! Not a God who can't!

No comments:

Post a Comment